Sunday, November 9, 2008

Do We Really Need to Know....?

Hey Guys...

I'm feeling all sombre today because some friends of mine have been adversely affected by something that's been posted on Stomp recently.

Now, I'm not gonna talk about what they did, or whether it was right or wrong (though i do feel that while what they did wasn't entirely 'right', it certainly wasn't wrong).

No, what i do wanna discuss is the voyeuristic pleasure so many Singaporeans derive from publicly crucifying others on an Internet forum.

Its disgusts me that someone would take a photo of two ladies sharing a table for four at Carls Junior, just to complain about it on what is essentially an online platform for our national newspaper!

If the photographer, or anyone for that matter, had really wanted to share the table, perhaps they should have had the cojones to try asking for it? The whole thing is absolutely ridiculous and appalling.
While this incident is not the one that has affected my group of friends, it is the behaviour of our dear Stompers, and not the event itself, that I'm trying to pin point.

Why are these Stompers so quick to condemn even the slightest misdemeanour? Why do they stand on this moral high ground and judge others like they have some god-given mandate?

It seems to me our dear Stompers are a deprived bunch, who crave attention and fame through any means possible. Nothing is too unimportant if it gives them their 15 minutes of showtime in their pathetic limelight.

I blame it on society's over-reliance on computers. Kids learn to do everything through PCs these days, and they grow up not knowing how to accomplish anything face-to-face in the real world.

It is so much easier to air a grievance anonymously online than it is to actually resolve the matter personally in the real world. Society has lost its balls. They have been misplaced in cyberspace.

Please, please please, do me a favour. The next time you see someone 'hogging' a table at a KFC, don't take out your 5 mega pixel camera phone with touch-screen display. Try asking instead, "Is this seat taken?"

It's a whole lot less troublesome, and you'll actually end up with a seat, and a smile on your face for having the courage to speak up.

My blood is on the verge of boiling, and overall, it has been a bad day. I have been royally pissed off by a team of petty footballers, as well as by a whole community of lame and voyeuristic Stompers.

Nonetheless, I shall endeavour to dispose of all my negative energy, calm my inner being, and project beautiful green waves of warmth and peace upon my as-of-yet nonexistent audience.

I leave you with my heartfelt blessings, and a reminder from John Lennon that "Love is free, Free is love."

This is Dreamer, signing out.

No comments: